We store cookies on your device to make sure we give you the best experience on this website. I'm fine with this - Turn cookies off
Switch to an accessible version of this website which is easier to read. (requires cookies)

Winter Hardship Help for Folkestone & Hythe Residents

December 23, 2021 3:58 PM

Grants drawer (https://stock.adobe.com/uk/search/free By MarekPhotoDesign.com)Residents facing financial hardship this winter can now get support from Folkestone & Hythe District Council, if they qualify.

The council has been awarded funding from Kent County Council for the Household Support Fund (HSF), which is provided by the government and runs until 31 March 2022 (subject to fund availability).

Anyone aged 16 or over and living in the district in a vulnerable household may be eligible for a payment. Vulnerable households are defined as those that are struggling to afford essential food and utility bills and have no other available support. Grants are available for families with or without children.

Other criteria for the HSF includes being in receipt of benefits (including Universal Credit, Jobseekers' Allowance, Pension Credit and Housing Benefit), or being on a low income (such as minimum wage).

Tim Prater, Cabinet Member for Revenues, Benefits, Anti-Fraud and Corruption, said:

"With prices rising at their highest rate for almost 10 years, it is a sad fact that some in the district will struggle with their household expenses this Christmas and beyond.

"Whether it be heating and other bills, or paying for food, it is important that working with the county council, we support them all we can through the HSF."

Funds are limited and people are asked to apply as soon as possible. For full details of the criteria and to make an application, please visit: https://www.folkestone-hythe.gov.uk/household-support-fund

Applications for an award may be made via a self-referral or via a request from a council officer, councillor, or voluntary/community organisation.

Anyone who needs help with things such as school uniform, white goods (fridges, washing machines etc) and other household items, can contact Kent County Council directly via its Kent Support and Assistance Service, which considers these applications: www.kent.gov.uk/social-care-and-health/care-and-support/benefits/kent-support-and-assistance-service

For vulnerable residents who don't have anyone to turn to for support, there are three hubs in the district offering services such as home meal delivery, food and medicine collection/delivery, or a chat and friendly advice: https://www.folkestone-hythe.gov.uk/community-hub)